Step aside PEEPS! Try some marshmallows Date Lady style.
This recipe makes 49 marshmallows.
½ cup cool water
3 Tbsp gelatin
½ cup water
1 cup Date Lady Pure Date Syrup
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
Unsweetened coconut flakes,
Arrowroot powder or tapioca starch
Flavoring oil and/or natural food dye
Instructions for Gelatin Bloom:
1. Line an 8x8" glass pan with parchment paper in both directions, leaving a little extra to use as handles for lifting the marshmallows out once they have set.
2. Grease the parchment. Combine gelatin and 1/2 cup cool water in a mixing bowl, stir to remove clumps, and set aside to "bloom" (soften).
Instructions for Syrup Mixture:
1. Combine 1/2 cup water, Date Lady Pure Date Syrup, salt, and vanilla in saucepan, and bring to a boil. Careful, it likes to foam up!
2. Reduce heat to medium and cook until syrup mixture reaches 240°F (soft ball stage) on your candy thermometer.
3. Slowly add syrup mixture to gelatin bloom, then turn up your mixer to the highest setting and whip into thick, fluffy marshmallow creme. This takes about 10 minutes. If you wish to add flavoring or color, this is the time to do it.
5. Sprinkle some onto your greased parchment and pour the fluffy creme into the pan. 6. Smooth out with greased fingertips or a spoon as needed, and sprinkle with some of the coating. Allow to set 4-6 hours. Lift out by parchment handles and slice into squares (7x7 works nicely), and give each a finishing toss of coating.
*This recipe was adapted from The Urban Poser: http://urbanposer.blogspot.com/2012/11/rustic-homemade-marshmallows-whoney.html *For more fun ideas on how to jazz them up, visit Mommypotamus: http://www.mommypotamus.com/skip-the-peeps-make-healthy-marshmallows-at-home/