3 cups flour (can use King Arthur Gluten Free Flour if desired)
2/3 cups Date Lady Date Sugar
2 pinches salt
1.5 sticks cold butter
1 cup pitted Date Lady Organic Dates
Zest of 1 large orange
1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp half & half
1 Tbsp juice of the orange
For Egg Wash: 1 egg white mixed + splash of water
1. Mix flour, Date Lady Date Sugar and salt in large bowl.
2. Then, with a pastry cutter, cut in butter, Date Lady Organic Dates and orange zest
3. Add half & half and fresh orange juice
4. Continue to cut in all ingredients together until well combined. Dough should begin to take shape.
5. You want to be able to pat dough together, loosely forming 2 rounds of dough on the counter.
6. Cut each round into 8 wedges. Place each scone at least 1 inch apart on parchment lined baking pan.
7. Bake at 400°F for 7 minutes. Then, quickly remove from oven to apply egg wash (1 egg white mixed with a splash of water) and return to bake for an additional 6 min.
This recipe by our professional baker on staff, Meredith Frazier, is the epitome of perfect level of scone texture and sweetness.
Makes 16 small scones